Friday, February 1, 2013

Our First Discussion in Korean: Elder Westbrook 'Goes For It'

Jan 23

I just finished my first half day in the MTC (Missionary Training Center)! It was an amazing experience! I walked into my Korean class and looked stupid but felt really excited to learn to say what my name is! My companion is Elder Westbrook, a football playing resident of Alpine Utah.  He's really cool and looks focused. He speaks good Spanish. We will get along famously.

Dom...er, Shaw Chong-nonim is in my district. We are so excited to be together.  My hall has a reputation for obedience and it looks like it will stay that way.  It's almost 10:30. Love you lots! Or should I say LOL (please refer to "When Parents Text" for an explanation.)

Jan 24/25

Suuuuuuper busy yesterday. I didn't have any time to write you.  Apparently I was supposed to write you a letter on Wednesday but I spaced... Still love you though, or [Korean text].  Yesterday was busy. We learned a bunch of grammar and conjugation. Made huge PB&J's.  Today we taught our first investigator in Korean. And we are not as solid at Korean as one might suppose. It went as follows:

Us: Hi.
Her: Hi.
Us: We are Elders.
Her: Yes.
Me: I am Mumford Elder.
Westbrook: I am Westbrook Elder.
Her: Yes.
Me: Do you believe in God?
Her: Yes (lots of Korean)
Me: Do you believe in Jesus?
Her: Yes (lots of Korean)
We then nervously fumbled for our scriptures to read John 3:16, but we have forgotten them. So there goes our lesson.
Westbrook: Are you a Korean person?
Her: Yes.
Westbrook spends 2 minutes reading "What's your major?"
Her: What?
Me: Prayer? Prayer?
Her: Yes!
(Westbrook gives the prayer.)
Westbrook: Did you feel the spirit?
Her: Yes (more Korean)
We are super stoked but can't remember how to ask to leave.  I make hand/finger walking motions while gesturing towards the door.  She looks utterly confused and is really trying to help us.
Westbrook: I love you!
*Nervous laughter.
I stand up, but Westbrook doesn't follow my lead.  Super awkward. He stands and we bow out mispronouncing our "I'm sorry"s and "Goodbye"s. Oh, and we gave her an orange so she gave us some M&Ms. I like her and hope we can connect just a touch better in the future.

But in all seriousness she is a really wonderful lady who with time may be able to feel the spirit despite us.  Westbrook is cool under pressure and really confident.  he's wonderful.  Working hard! Word for you is: debakimnida. It means Rad, or awesome (in a cool way).  Love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment