Sunday, March 10, 2013

A Day in the Life of Elder Mumford


[Note: Last week in my email, I (Julia) requested that Zach tell us what a typical day in the MTC is like.  He responded with two pages!  If you want to read this week's actual letter, it follows this post. It's been a looong time since I was in the MTC--some of this sounds familiar, but I think we had class in the morning as well, and three teachers.]

6:29 am.  Alarm goes off. (My comp is an "extra mile" kinda guy.)  I sit up, pray, and shower.  I get the handicapped shower because, well, I'm handicapped.  I shower and brush my teeth.  Throw on a suit and tie and hop down the stairs to...

7:20 Breakfast.  Usually hash browns, eggs, and sausage or ham.  Milk and AJ accompany.  We try to speak Korean.  Usually it's pretty quiet.

7:30 Scoot to personal study.  I study out of one chapter of the NT, BoM, and D & C respectively.  I plan lessons and study PMG and other interesting [indecipherable]. Move into...

8:30 Comp study/Free study  We study Korean and start to put together lessons.

9:20 Gym!  I usually stay with Elder Hale and he writes letters while I do 300 bicycle sit-ups, some pull ups, and scoot around the residence.  It's an okay workout.  I've lost weight! Also I don't drink pop. Super good.  We leave to go to...

11:00 TALL or Technology Assisted Language Learning.  Super helpful.  I learn loads.  Elder Westbrook only has 2 volume levels, ON and OFF.  It's pretty funny.  He has helped me memorize a lot of unintended Korean though! :) We finish up and...

12:00 Lunch! We chow down and talk about everything.  We see people we know in the cafeteria! Super fun! We scoot over to...
12:45 Language study! Studying Korean is tough but rewarding.  Me and my comp study grammar and read Korean.  We practice our vocab of the day and write sentences.  Smooth transition to...

2:00 pm CLASS! Brother Sung or Sister Baek come in to hugs or handshakes and much [Korean words--means "anyanghaseyo-ing].  We love them a lot.  We spend class teaching our teachers, learning Korean, learning how to teach with the Spirit of the Lord, being inspired, and having a fun and hard- working time. We then go to...

5:00 Dinner!  Something yummy like steak or burgers and some ice cream or [looks like "weansdy"] or cake.  Milk and juice accompany.  Elder Westbrook and I snag the mail and...

5:45 Class! We do the same with our other teacher.  we are learning Korean fast.  It's lots of fun. And work. But work is fun.  Then on to...

9:00 Planning! We go over our day and see how we did on goals and how we did teaching.  We plan for our investigating teachers who act as investigators and see how we can help them.  We find our new vocab and finish up to...

9:30 personal time!  We write letters, tell stories, and get to know each other.  It's a good break.  But missionary work is the best.  On to...

10:15 quiet time. We pray, write in journals, and settle in. Elder Westbrook and I pray in Korean.  He's way good.  He did it in spanish the other day.  On to...

10:30 BED! We say goodnight [Korean words--translation "Dream of pigs"] and thoughts race as I drop off to sleep.  Stoked for a new day.

That's about it.  I love you all lots.  Thank you for your letters! I don't always get to answer all of them but they inspire me!

Love, Elder Mumford

No comments:

Post a Comment